April 25, 2011

BUTTER TARTS!

One of my fondest memories of growing up was baking with my Mom.  Everything was always from "scratch".  I wish I had a dime for every batch of butter tarts or buns she created, and a lot of the time were given to others.
I have to agree with Mom when she told me one of the greatest skills a young lady could learn was how to make home made pastry.  It really isn't a scary task at all and sure comes in handy for bribery.  Now I wish I had a dime (or maybe loonie) for every batch of butter tarts I've made.
My job this year for Easter dinner was you guessed it... butter tarts.
Thought I'd share our family recipe.  It really can't get any easier, honest!
YUM!

BUTTER TART FILLING
(this usually makes enough for 12 tarts, I easily make 4 times this for one "batch" of pastry)

2 well beaten eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter (cold)

Blend by hand until butter chunks are broken up.
Wash raisins and add as many or few to the pastry shells as you desire.
Add tart filling until pastry shells are 3/4 full.
Bake at 325-350 for approx 10-15 mins (depending on your oven).  Watch for the filling to be slightly bubbling and pastry to be barely golden brown.
**Take tarts out of baking dish immediately and cool.  If you wait too long, any filling that may have boiled over while baking will stick to the tray, making it difficult to pull your tarts out of the tray.**

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts... I love to hear from you and appreciate your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...