November 18, 2011

DIY!

I hit up quite a few blogs when nap time blesses me and I see a lot of HOW TO and DIY ideas.
People have amazing and creative minds.  Inspiration overwhelms me.  I want to create, to make amazing things out of teeny tiny precious items we have in our very own home, and WOW my fellow bloggers with cool "stuff".  Like making pieces of miniature furniture out of paper clips, or pasting shiny fabrics together to form animal shapes, or even doll houses made out of colored toothpicks.

** insert sarcasm and eye roll here!**
Totally hamming it up but seriously....

What I really think we are getting good at these days at our house is free, can be made anywhere at anytime of the day, comes at no cost or sacrifice and grows in our very own home....  this is our family DIY destination. It may even be the best project of all times, laughter!
Good old fashioned PLAY with the wee Bean. PLAY is a noun and a verb at Casa Reynolds.

I'm not sure if every little person shares these feelings but Andrew has a HUGE like for household items such as pots, tupperware, and toilet paper rolls, and an even HUGER (yes that is a word today) dislike for plastic purchased toys.  I find this the most amazing phenomenon.  $1000 worth of Walmart does not impress my son.  In fact it makes him shake his head and give us the stink eye, well not exactly but it will be totally old school in 38 seconds and can never compete with a tape measurer or a plastic disposable cup.  He could care less.

Dude has a creative mind!  He gets that from his Dad without a doubt.
The only exception to this is a book.
Baby boy loves his books!

Making tents is a huge childhood memory for me.  I remember making FORTS in the living room with my brother, and my parents using every blanket and sheet in the linen closet.  A blanket or towel entertains Bean for hours.  I honestly mean hours!

Music is not one of my strong points but I was always encouraged to sing out loud.  Both my parents have crazy musical talents that I believe were not polished nearly enough.  Hello, Mom plays the Spoons and Harmonica and Dad plays the Accordion! The beautiful piano in my parents home has heard a tune or two, it isn't just decoration. Pretty amazing.
So the music tradition must go on.  Andrew allows Mumma to belt out Raffi songs from the paste while he raps his heart out with a pot and spatula.  THE HILLS ARE ALIVE TO THE SOUND OF MUSIC!!!

Around the island we go!  The game of run this way, then turn around and run the other way occupied many of our babysitters.  It may have even beat out popcorn!  Now it has turned into a welcome home from work Daddy tradition.  Andrew could run back and forth and around and around the kitchen island for hours. Big bad bedtime seems to ruin all the fun.  That game is free of charge!  And a hell of a calorie burner.

I SPY!
Do I need to say anything more on this one?

My point here is that the gift of PLAY is a very special one.  It is free. It builds amazing memories for our little people.  It makes us all use our imagination.  We are never to busy to play. Exploring the mystery of the mini creative mind is down right awesome. Us big people can tuck away a lot of lessons at the very same time.

I'm posting a few photos of PLAY from earlier this week.  A big puffy quilt and a couple of pillows....
It was our DIY project for that morning.
Little man had one heck of a nap after that hour long giggle session.









What silly childhood games did you play and do you play with your kiddos?
We have games waiting for us... gotta run!

1 comment:

  1. As kids we were allowed to put up our tent in the house and "camp" during the winter. Hubby and I do it every time the nephews/niece come to stay and it never gets old. SO much fun! I hope that one day our kids turn out like Beanie. The thought of buying plastic toys really makes me cringe. The only ones that appeal to me are the Melissa & Doug wooden ones... no batteries required!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts... I love to hear from you and appreciate your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...